FIRST LOOK: DIRT TRAX PROJECT COMMANDER
Staff, Photography: Mike Lester
Wednesday, November 09, 2011
From early planning for this season of Dirt Trax, it was the intention of our crew to pit a competitive side-x-side against Polaris' 900 RZR XP.
The only problem being, at the time, the Wildcat was just a rumor and no other OEM had anything that came even close.
Since there was nothing on the market, we decided to build our own selecting a 2011 Can-Am Commander 1000 as our project base.
Its sportier elements and powerful 976cc V-Twin mill were an excellent starting point and with the help of some choice aftermarket manufacturers, we got right to work.
Keeping in mind that some of our aftermarket accessories will add to the performance of the Commander, others just make the Commander look sweet.
The list of cool products is as follows:
- Aluminum doors from Blingstar
- Fiberglass Box Cover from Blingstar
- Baja Roof Rack from Blingstar
- Gladiator Bumper from Blingstar
- HCR front and rear Wide Arm Kit from HCR Racing
- Longer and beefier axles from Summer Brothers
- Custom shocks from King Off-Road Racing Shocks
- 14-inch wheels from No Limit Wheels
- Grim Reapers tires from GBC Motorsports
With all these elements together, we can't wait to get this UTV out in the sand and run it against the RZR 900. Stay tuned to Dirt Trax Television to catch this episode coming up soon!
Click below to watch the TRAIL TECH installation segments for our Commander Build:
* CAN-AM COMMANDER PROJECT BUILD PART 1
* CAN-AM COMMANDER PROJECT BUILD PART 2
* CAN-AM COMMANDER PROJECT BUILD PART 3
* CAN-AM COMMANDER PROJECT BUILD PART 4
* CAN-AM COMMANDER PROJECT BUILD PART 5